Thursday 13 October 2011

Evaluation - College Times Magazine


My College magazine consists of many of the necessary media products needed for a magazine front cover. These include the use of a pug, cover line and some puffs. A headline is also used with a pun on a song and moving to college. A stand-out and recognisable masthead is also used telling the audience what the magazine is about. A medium close up image is also used on the cover of a student looking happy to portray college as a good place.The contents page also follows suit with an appropriate image and brief descriptions of what's inside the magazine and numbered with what page they are on. I also added another popular media magazine product of a competition. I think both cover and contents page could be improved with colours that work better with the images and perhaps darker colours to appeal to a younger audience.
The particular social group the magazine is aimed at is young adults who are beginning college for the first time and need some information/a helping hand into starting at college. The images and language of the magazine appeal to a younger audience. However I still believe it could have been improved with style, language and imagery appealing more to the youth of today and show them college is up-to-date and they will enjoy it.
I believe the BBC would be an appropriate media institution that may distribute the product because they encourage many education projects and they could advertise in it about such things.
I believe my audience for is a younger audience, because of the cover/contents images used representing the age group its aimed at. I would improve the project next time by considering the connotations made by the colours used through to appeal to the correct audience (perhaps darker). More images also could have been included to show all a range of the age group its aimed at.
I attracted the audience for my magazine with such things as jokes on my contents page and puffs with appealing information so the reader will be of interest to them and they pick up the magazine. However I still believe the colours could have been changed to appeal to the correct teenage audience rather than a younger audience (darker colours perhaps).
I have learnt about photo-shop and how to use it to create a magazine and cut/crop images etc. I have also learnt how to use an advanced camera to take higher quality images for both the cover and contents page of my magazine.
I have I have learnt a lot in this task, including how to make a magazine appeal to a particular audience and how to use photo-shop to create a magazine to standard quality which I hope to improve in later projects. In the next project I believe I could improve on certain skills on photo-shop such as layering images correctly, changes these images to suit the magazine and smoothing edges of images to appear smooth and of high quality. I also think I need to improve on effects skills in photo-shop so I can improve the look of the magazine in later projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment